Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wait? What Do You Mean There Is More To Running Than Just Running!

Hey all, I hope that you all had fabulous weekends. I was able to finish the Top Gun Triathlon in 1:16:07 which was 4 minutes faster than last year. I was pretty happy with that time considering it was 85 degrees during the run portion! Congrats to all who competed!

Speaking of running, Self Magazine had a fantastic article this month on "calorie scorching" variations of running. It wasn't until a year ago that I actually started incorporating these different types of running styles into my weekly regimen, and it has certainly shown in my race times!

LSD à Long, slow distance: these low-intensity cardio sessions build on your fitness foundation. I typically call these my "slow" or "off" days. You know, the runs where you can actually speak in full sentences with your running partner! Even though you may be moving at a slower pace, they will increase your endurance. Long sessions which last 45 minutes or more will train your muscles to keep on going, so put on some pump up beats and run until the end! These runs also serve as an "active recovery" as Self calls it, as they refuel you for more intense bouts you will do on other days. Competitive runners who increased the amount of LSD workouts during their training shaved 30 percent more time off of their 10K time compared to those who added extra tempo workouts according to The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

Tempo à I have to admit that I knew nothing about these types of runs until I met my running partner, Jaye. These are medium-speed sessions which will push you closer to your anaerobic threshold (when your body shifts from burning a higher percentage of fat to more carbs which is easier to access energy). As a result, your calorie burn spikes. But only do these two times a week, so you can get some rest and bounce back better between workouts.

HIIT à What Self calls high intensity interval training. This is when you kick it for short bursts, then quickly recover to activate fast-twitch muscle fibers, thus making you stronger. I know I hate Tuesday morning speed sessions, but they do work! HIIT accelerates calorie burning because higher intensity creates greater metabolic demand, as explained by Cedric Bryant, Ph.D., chief science officer at the American Council on Exercise. Research shows that 7 hours of HIIT over 2 weeks raises a womna's fat-burning power (compared with 12 hours of tempo). Don't overdo it, though, or your muscles will weaken.






















LSD


Tempo


HIIT

How Long You Need to Sweat40 to 60 minutes20 to 30 minutes10 to 20 minutes
Total Calories Burned 158 to 240 (4/min)130 to 195 (6.5/min)80 to 200 (8 to 10/min)
Your Effort LevelYou can tell your running partner the entire run without being winded!You get out 4 key words to get the point across, but it's not easyJust focus on the run!

Starting next week, I am going to make a schedule based on these 3 techniques and post about the results between weeks. Try it with me!

DAY 1: LSD for 45 to 60 minutes at a level of 3 or 4 (On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 is the effort it takes to ride the bus and 10 is the effort it takes to throw the bus in the air.)

DAY 2: HIIT – 8, 400 yard sprints with jogs in between. Sprints at a level 7 or 8 and jogs at a 3 or 4.

DAY 3: LSD – "slow day" for me! Again, 45 to 60 minutes at a 3 or 4 level. Maybe include some lifting afterwards.

DAY 4: Self recommends a day OFF. For me, that means a class or something to stretch my muscles out like yoga.

DAY 5: Tempo: Aim for your fastest 5K time at a level 5 to 7 and stick to it for 20 to 30 minutes.

DAY 6: LSD: Saturdays are long runs with my girls, so level 3 or 4 for 8 to 10.

Day 7: Now this is my day off. Time for Sunday-funday.

c/o Self Magazine, "Burn Baby Burn" by Michele Stanten, July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment