Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Happy Hour!

The weekend is finally here! Do you have any big plans? For those of my northern followers, here is a drink recipe to help you hold onto thse last days of summer.
In a previous post, I told you about our new favorite brunch place, Ella's. Although Mickey loved their Bloody Mary (with a rib in it), he was also a fan of their Chileo – a spicy, yet refreshing watermelon, jalapeno drink. Last Sunday while watching football, I realized that I had all of the ingredients at home and did my best to duplicate it. Needless to say, Mickey was a happy camper!
The Ella Chileo
1 to 2 parts jalapeno vodka
2 parts watermelon fresca
½ tbsp. of agave nectar
Ice


The jalapeno vodka was very easy to make. Chop one or two jalapenos and let them sit in a large bottle of your choice of vodka (or, to duplicate Ella's, try tequila) for a few hours. Because of the strength of the fresh jalapenos, this took me about 3 hours before it took on that spicy bite. You can make this at home, or you can purchase Stoli's new Stoli Hot, or Absolut's Peppar. I am not a fan of the latter vodka, however.


I was not sure how to make a "watermelon fresca" as Ella's calls it, so I improvised. Take a quarter of a watermelon and blend until it is pulverized. Once done, add a half a liter of club soda, to carbonate it. (By the way, this is a very gluten free drink!)
Mix the ingredients with ice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment